Thursday, February 14, 2013

Better??.....we are getting there (Maybe)

I seriously was going CRAZY yesterday with my beloved almost 2 year old. I love that Isabella is strong willed & independent. It will help her in life SO much. I don't love it so much when she is battling me on something.

I know so many of you are probably curious how it turned out yesterday. Well after I put all of her toys in the hallway so she couldn't be distracted, I decided I'd sit in her rocking chair until she fell asleep on her mattress laying on the floor. It worked surprisingly. She took a nap and I was able to "regroup". Kalen used a very stern voice with her and had to go into her room a few times to tell her to lay down and go to sleep. It took less than 5 minutes. YAY!!!

I've made a few arrangements to help with getting Brianna home from school and Isabella being able to take a nap. It won't be daily but it's a start. I'm SO grateful to those individuals who have offered to help in one way or another.

So fast forward to today. Happy Valentine's Day by the way. I woke Isabella up so she wouldn't have the chance to even think about climbing out of her crib. The day started off great! We took Brianna to school. Since Isabella is SO independent, she likes to walk. The rule is that she has to hold Brianna or my hand. If she chooses not to then I have to carry her. She did pretty well but it seems to be at the same spot EVERYDAY that she decides to bolt. So into my arms she goes. She's a pretty heavy kid.

While I chatted with a friend about how much I am struggling right now, Isabella played on the school playground equipment. She listened fairly well, but of course told me a lot of "No's" when I told her it was time to go to the gym. My friend Kasie said something really good. (I had this thought yesterday, as I was begging to my Heavenly Father in prayer on how to be a better parent for Isabella). She said, "Since you can't change her, change yourself...meaning the way I will or will not react. What a novel concept, right? She also gave me another couple of suggestions. They have worked so far with Isabella today. There was little food throwing at lunch. The rule has ALWAYS and will ALWAYS be that if you throw food, then you are done and you don't get anything else to eat. 

I used fruit snacks as a reward throughout the day today, given her "warning" of what is going to be happening; like "we are leaving in 5 minutes". I've always believe children need to know what the expectations and consequences will be. Isabella just doesn't seemed to be phased by them until today.
Maybe it's because I stayed calmed, even though I wanted to SCREAM. But I have hope.

It was time for nap and my plan was to put her in her crib after our "normal" bedtime routine of reading books, singing & rocking. While she was in her bed, I sat in her rocking chair. As hard as it was to stay calm, I had to repeatedly tell her, "It was time to go to sleep". It took 40 minutes. I wanted to dose off, but she did it. She went to sleep and didn't try to climb out of her crib. While she might be ready to not be in a crib, I'm not ready for her to have the ability to get out of bed and walk around. So for now we will try this. I'm hoping it will get less and less and she will get better at following the rules and expectations. I know she's not even 2 yet, but she knows what I'm telling her.

I love Isabella so much. She drives me crazy, but I'm glad she is here and part of our family. She definitely has taught me how to laugh again, since Dylan's death. I think we are both strong-headed and that's why we clash. I'm trying to take a step back before I react to something and I'm hoping this will help.

I want thank everyone that sent texts, Facebook messages, commented on my Facebook status, commented on my blog and sent emails telling me I wasn't alone and what had helped with their kids. The response was OVERWHELMING. There were people who responded who I seriously thought they had it all together, but to learn otherwise. I'm grateful for those that shared their struggles and disappointments.

So you may still see me running after Isabella, but just know if I see you running after one or more of your kids. I understand and there will be no judgement from me. If I can I might even help you in running after your kid(s).

Enjoy today and show those in your life you love them and are glad they are here to be able to show them.

What's something that you struggle with as a parent - guilt, CRAZY kids, not knowing what to do, feeling out of control?? Leave a comment here or on Facebook.

-Francesca

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad today was better for you! I have to constantly remind myself that Enzo usually does something to get a reaction, so I need to stop reacting. But it is so hard! It is so hard being a parent, especially to a strong willed child. We just have to remember to take it one day at a time : )

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! I will to respond to them quickly as possible. Leave your blog address so I can follow back:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails