Tuesday, April 27, 2010

So I've been thinking

I just finished watching "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution" on my DVR. It really had me thinking. I learned that chocolate milk has more sugar than a can of soda. CRAZY! Good thing, Brianna rarely gets any.

My mission: Try to avoid processed foods as much as possible. I took a look at what was in my pantry and the ingredients that were in some of the stuff and I was blown away by all the words I couldn't pronounce. So we are going to try to get rid of those and cook fresh. Yes it will take longer, but if I plan well then I think we should do okay. Most of you know that I LIVE by planning so it shouldn't be to difficult. Don't worry, we will still have an occasional box of Hamburger Helper! I don't want to be a food SNOB!!!

There are a few books that I want to read that will help me achieve this goal for my family.

Here's my list:


Jamie’s Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals

Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual

In Defense of Food: An Eater’s Manifesto

I'm not saying that we will cut out all processed foods, we don't eat a ton of them already, but I already know where I want to start and what I want to cut out of our family's food.

The other thing I want to do is plant a garden. I mean a full out garden so if anyone is a pro and wants to come help me, that would be FABULOUS!!

So what do I hope to achieve by cutting out processed foods, better health. And hopefully a good recipe for homemade yogurt. Anyone know any good recipes for that?

I do LOVE to cook so this is going to be fun. I am definitely going to have to plan my meals better. We do eat a good variety of fruits and veggies. Brianna loves ARTICHOKES and ASPARAGUS. I'm pretty proud of that! How many 4 1/2 year olds do? It seems pretty uncommon.

What do you guys do to try to make healthy recipes for you and/or your family?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Girl-Healthy meals are hard in this day and age but I try to use the rule of using "real" food as often as possible. Ya know, fresh veggies, fruits, whole grains, or at least making as much from scratch as possible. A recipe exchange group would be fun. Make stuff then meet once in awhile and eat it and share recipes. Oh and love to garden and would be happy to come help you. Call me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! I LOVED that show! The first episode aired and I IMMEDIATELY went out and bought a plethora of fresh foods for my kids lunches, because they are NOT eating cafeteria food anymore!

    I also managed to cut High Fructose Corn Syrup out of our diets. That was hard, it is EVERYTHING, including bread and yogurt... So frustrating!

    Good luck with your garden. I have a black thumb...

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! I will to respond to them quickly as possible. Leave your blog address so I can follow back:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails