Sunday, October 19, 2014

Life...what it's really like

I pretty much skip over commercials when watching TV shows on my DVR (well the Dish Hopper does it for me) BUT there are a few random occasions that I will see a commercial (whenever my kids are watching a show of theirs) that makes me think "yeah right!"

Let me paint the scene. A mom is giving her baby a bath or changing the baby's diaper. There is calm music, mother and child are looking tenderly at each other. It's all smiles. Well advertising companies, I've got news for you. I am assuming that whoever thought up these "lovely" commercials has never had kids, because they would surely know that is not what it's like.

Now let me paint the scene for a diaper change at my house. As soon as I walk with Sophia into her room she starts screaming. I'm sure it's because she thinks that she is going to be going down for a nap. So as I gently lay her down on the changing table and give her a smile, she starts to squirm, roll, protest and scream even louder. I have to give her "something" (a diaper, a toy, a tube of desitin), you get the idea, to help her not move all over the place. After what should take just a few seconds and be painstakingly easy, I've worked up a little sweat from trying to make sure my child doesn't go flying off the side of the changing table.

I wonder why diaper companies don't show that type of diaper change. I'm sure more than at least half of all parents experience my "scene" much more often than the one portrayed on TV. I could go on and on about how TV is so unrealistic but I won't.

I just know that as I change Sophia's diapers numerous times today, there won't be any peaceful music or a happy baby during the process. What will I get?? I get a screaming baby that can't wait for it all to be over with, not realizing that if she did do what the TV commercials appear to make what a diaper change is, she might not have tears in her eyes and a splotchy forehead.

I really think that diaper/baby product companies REALLY need to do a better job of what parenthood is like. I mean I'm still going to have to buy diapers, baby food or any kind of baby supplies. I'm just saying......

Some of my random thoughts on a Sunday morning:)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! I will to respond to them quickly as possible. Leave your blog address so I can follow back:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails